To withdraw a faction application go to Preferences, and click the 'Management' tab where you will be able to cancel any outgoing applications.
- 1 Starting A Faction
- 2 Respect
- 3 Faction Warfare
- 4 Controls Panel
- 5 Upgrades Panel
- 6 Organized Crimes
- 7 Faction Communication
- 8 Historical Notes
Starting A Faction
Factions are one of the most popular activities in Torn. Starting a new faction costs $1,000 x number of factions currently in the game, although a faction can be purchased for less in the faction buying and selling thread in the forums. A brand new faction will have 5,000 respect and will be based in a shed, giving a maximum member space of 5 members.
A faction's success may be measured by its total current respect and the upgrades that it has. To see the best factions in the game, go to the Hall of Fame in the newspapers.
Going Inactive (Faction Leader)
It should be noted that if the faction's leader should ever go inactive for more than 30 days, leadership will be automatically transferred to the Co-Leader. If there isn't one, it will instead be transferred to the longest-serving member online in the last 24 hours.
Respect is what most factions will fight and die for. It can be used to show the Torn community how good your faction is, it can be used as bragging rights, or it can be used for upgrading faction specials, which will be discussed below. Respect is gained and lost in many ways.
- Warring and chaining against an opposing faction. Attacking the other factions members to gain respect. Attacking quickly after a prior attack is known as chaining and is the most efficient way of gaining respect. When your members are attacked you will lose respect.
- You can also accumulate respect, on a daily basis, by owning Territories blocks.
- Most factions will run 'Organized Crimes' for the purpose of gaining respect, as well as some money in the process. They range in difficulty and number of members required and are discussed in more detail below.
- Factions will lose 1 respect per day. This is to help remove low-respect, inactive factions from the game.
- When a faction is hit by a Dirty Bomb it will lose a large amount of respect, amongst other effects.
- The Television Station company special 'Propaganda' allows an employee to spend job points on gaining respect for the faction they are in. The faction news log will also have a record of this.
Chaining is a warring tool designed to supplement warring between two factions. Successive hits made on players outside of your faction will build a "chain", gradually earning more respect as the chain builds - and occasionally reaching "bonus" hits for large additional respect gains.
- Chaining must be unlocked by spending respect. Once a faction has completed a chain of set length, it may unlock the next length chain. These purchases are non-refundable.
- The first 10 hits in a chain must be made within 5 minutes. Beyond this, each successive hit must be made within 5 minutes or the chain will enter its cooldown state.
- As the chain progresses, the respect earned will gradually increase - scaled logarithmically. At 13 possible points in a chain, designated "bonus hits", a hit will produce a large flat respect bonus.
- Once a chain breaks it will enter its cooldown state, which lasts 10 seconds for every hit made in the chain (e.g. 100 seconds for a 10-hit chain).
Chaining was completely redesigned in 2017 and unveiled in November as the first update in a much larger Warring 2.0 upgrade. Full details on the subject can be found on the Chaining 2.0 page.
Raiding is a purely destructive form of warring. Any faction may begin an indefinite raid against another faction, during which respect may only be taken from the opposition, rather than earned. Once 24 hours has elapsed, the faction with the highest score (most respect taken) gains the option to "Cease" the raid.
- A faction may only begin a raid with one faction at time. If your faction is involved in a raid, it will not be able to start another until the current raid is ceased. Your faction may be raided by multiple factions at the same time, however.
- If your faction starts a raid it will force any current chain into its cooldown state, so chains should be finished before or started after your faction declares a raid.
- Attacks made by either side during a raid will cause 100% respect loss (compared with the 25% loss caused by regular attacks).
- Respect that you take from the opposing faction will be added to your faction's raid score. Once 24 hours have passed since the beginning of the raid, the faction with the highest score may choose to cease the raid.
- The faction with the lowest score may choose to surrender at any time, however all this does is notify the opposing faction that you wish for the raid to be over. They may choose to accept your surrender and cease, or ignore it and continue.
- Once a raid has ended, the two factions will automatically have a 90 day Non-Aggression Pact (NAP) implemented, meaning they can not war for 90 days.
- In rare cases a factions total respect may reach 0, in which event the faction is destroyed.
- As with territory wars, full stats and graphs are available in a raid report once a raid is complete.
When a faction hits zero respect, they will be permanently destroyed. The faction will not be fully deleted, but it will enter an irrecoverable death state - this means the faction cannot be accessed, but its name and profile will be retained forever.
Upon destruction, all members of the faction will be removed and any inventory which isn't loaned out will be moved to the leader including money and points.
- All items, money, points, and items that are not loaned out in the faction will go to the current leader.
- When a faction is destroyed, their profile will remain, showing its name, image, and previous leader
Note: Coming soon!
Factions can war any territory that is within range of any of their uncontested territories. If a faction does not have any territory, it can immediately take an available one within sector 7, or start a war against any territory within sector 7.
Territory wars require your faction members to join an assault or defense of a territory. No energy is required to take an unoccupied spot on a wall.
Territory warfare can be conducted against a hostile faction to conquer their territory. It can also be conducted against a friendly faction (with their cooperation) to accumulate additional respect during chaining. If factions choose to, they can make alliances with their neighbors and block certain routes - if they have the charisma, strength, and resources to maintain a specific area - they will keep it.
All factions start in sector 7 (the areas on the city map furthest from the center), and can then fight or negotiate their way towards the center if they wish. A faction can claim up to 30 territories maximum, starting with one territory. As each new quantity is achieved, a waiting period of three days is required before the next territory can be unlocked. Each territory provides an amount of respect as shown on the map.
You can find a more detailed description of territories here.
The upgrades panel is the nuts and bolts of faction management. It is split into two sections, the core branch and the special upgrades branch.
- An upgrade from a core branch cannot be undone, so be careful when selecting these. This includes member capacity, armory upgrades, dirty bomb lab, territory upgrades, and chaining upgrades.
- The special upgrades branch is where you can select your specials, you can choose up to 6 trees from a list of 8 trees. These can be unset as you see fit for the current situation, although it does take 100 hours to unset them!
Give To User
Allows the faction leader, co-leader or anyone who has been given full ordnance permission to see the money and points balance of all members of the faction in the "Give to user" panel, and to give money or points to members. These balances increase when members donate money/points and decrease if they are given money/points. The 'payday' feature will not affect money balances. The balances can be adjusted to any value by the leader or co-leader; this only changes the member's displayed balance and has no other effect. Members can see their own personal balance on the armory page.
Allows the leader or co-leader to send money to multiple faction members at the same time.
Only the leader or co-leader can change member permissions.
There is a 7-day faction membership requirement for 'Full Ordnance Management' (added on 31/07/18)
|Permissions||AM||Armory Medical Use||Allows members to use medical items directly from the armory.|
|AB||Armory Booster Use||Allows members to use boosters, energy drinks, alcohol and candy directly from the armory.|
|AD||Armory Drug Use||Allows members to use drug items directly from the armory.|
|AR||Armory Refill Use||Allows members to refill their points directly from the armory.|
|AL||Armory Loaning||Allows members to retrieve and loan weapons, armor & temporary items to themselves and other faction members.|
|SN||Send Newsletter||Allows members to send newsletters.|
|CA||Change Announcement||Allows members to change the faction announcement.|
|AP||Application Management||Allows members to accept or decline faction applications.|
|FO||Forum Management||Allows members to delete faction posts and make stickies.|
|OC||Organized Crime Management||Allows members to plan and initiate the faction's organized crimes.|
|FM||Full Ordnance Management||Gives the member full access to the faction's money and armory.|
|Laboratory||105,027||Acquire 25 faction members|
|Upgrade||Max Chain Size||Respect||Challenge|
|Chaining II||25||2,173||Achieve a chain of 10|
|Chaining III||50||3,067||Achieve a chain of 25|
|Chaining IV||100||4,719||Achieve a chain of 50|
|Chaining V||250||6,662||Achieve a chain of 100|
|Chaining VI||500||10,251||Achieve a chain of 250|
|Chaining VII||1,000||15,773||Achieve a chain of 500|
|Chaining VIII||2,500||22,265||Achieve a chain of 1,000|
|Chaining IX||5,000||34,258||Achieve a chain of 2,500|
|Chaining X||10,000||48,358||Achieve a chain of 5,000|
|Chaining XI||25,000||74,404||Achieve a chain of 10,000|
|III||20||2,173||Achieve a faction age of 10 days|
|IV||25||3,067||Achieve a faction age of 20 days|
|V||30||4,719||Achieve a faction age of 30 days|
|VI||40||6,662||Achieve a faction age of 40 days|
|VII||50||10,251||Achieve a faction age of 50 days|
|VIII||65||15,773||Achieve a faction age of 75 days|
|IX||80||22,265||Achieve a faction age of 100 days|
|X||100||34,258||Achieve a faction age of 150 days|
|Territory II||2||1,678||Hold 1 territory for 3 days|
|Territory III||3||2,173||Hold 2 territories for 3 days|
|Territory IV||4||3,067||Hold 3 territories for 3 days|
|Territory V||5||3,972||Hold 4 territories for 3 days|
|Territory VI||6||5,144||Hold 5 territories for 3 days|
|Territory VII||7||6,662||Hold 6 territories for 3 days|
|Territory VIII||8||8,628||Hold 7 territories for 3 days|
|Territory IX||9||12,180||Hold 8 territories for 3 days|
|Territory X||10||15,773||Hold 9 territories for 3 days|
|Territory XI||11||20,427||Hold 10 territories for 3 days|
|Territory XII||12||26,453||Hold 11 territories for 3 days|
|Territory XIII||13||37,341||Hold 12 territories for 3 days|
|Territory XIV||14||48,358||Hold 13 territories for 3 days|
|Territory XV||15||62,625||Hold 14 territories for 3 days|
|Territory XVI||16||81,100||Hold 15 territories for 3 days|
|Territory XVII||17||105,027||Hold 16 territories for 3 days|
Special branches are bonuses that all of your faction members receive. You can assign your respect to these specials. Be wary though, as unsetting them will last 100 hours, so you can't just change up your specials constantly.
If you are interested in the old upgrades system, you can view those on this page.
Main tree: Addiction: Reduce drug addiction up to 50%. (2% per upgrade)
- Overdosing: Decrease overdose chance up to 30%. (3% per upgrade)
Note: No specials that reduce OD chance apply to Cannabis - source.
- Side effects: Reduce passives negatives from drug effects and addiction up to 30%. (3% per upgrade)
Total Cost: 254,884 respect
- Speed training: Increase speed gym gains up to 10%. (1% per upgrade)
- Strength training: Increase strength gym gains up to 10%. (1% per upgrade)
- Defence training: Increase defence gym gains up to 10%. (1% per upgrade)
- Dexterity training: Increase dexterity gym gains up to 10%. (1% per upgrade)
- An extra 5% on speed or strength
- An extra 5% on defense or dexterity
Tertiary tree: An extra 5% on a stat, dependant on the specializations you chose previously.
Total Cost: 249,498 Respect (This is with 2 branches at std10, one at std15 & one at std20)
- Speed: Increase speed passively up to 20%. (1% per upgrade)
- Strength: Increase strength passively up to 20%. (1% per upgrade)
- Accuracy: Increase accuracy up to +2.0. (+0.2 per upgrade)
- Hospiltalization: Increase outgoing hosp times up to 25%. (2.5% per upgrade)
- Damage: Increase all damage up to 10%. (1% per upgrade)
Total Cost: 563,249 respect
Main tree: Travel capacity: Increase travel capacity up to 10. (1 per upgrade)
- Travel cost: Reduce traveling fees up to 75%.(15% per upgrade)
- Hunting: Increase hunting income up to 30%. (3% per upgrade)
- Rehab cost: Reduce rehab cost up to 20%. (2% per upgrade)
- Overseas banking: Increase cayman interest with a multiplier up to 25%. (5% per upgrade, this means you can get up to 0.625% interest instead of the base 0.5%)
Total Cost 320,921 respect
Main tree: Hospital time: Reduce all hospital times up to 25%. (1% per upgrade)
- Life regeneration: Regenerate up to 4% more life per tick. (0.2% per upgrade)
- Reviving: Reduce reviving cost down to 25 energy. ( 5 per upgrade)
- Medical cooldown: Add up to 12h of med cooldown. (1h per upgrade)
Tertiary trees: Medical effectiveness: Gain up to 30% extra medical effectiveness. (2% per upgrade)
Total Cost: 526,142 respect
Main tree: Booster cooldown: Adds up to 24h of booster cooldown. (1h per upgrade)
- Alcohol effect: Increase nerve gain from alcohol up to 50%. (5% per upgrade)
- Candy effect: Increase happy gain from candy up to 50%. (5% per upgrade)
- Energy drink effect: Increase energy gain from cans up to 50%. (5% per upgrade)
Total Cost: 275,581 respect
Main tree: Crimes: Provides up to 25% increase in crime skill and exp boost. (1% per upgrade)
- Jail time: Decreases jail times up to 30%. (2% per upgrade)
- Nerve: Increase maximum nerve up to 40 extra nerve. (1 per upgrade)
Tertiary tree: Bust skill: Increase bust skill up to 50%. (5% per upgrade)
Quaternary tree: Bust nerve: Decrease nerve bust cost up to 3. (1 per upgrade)
Total Cost: 593,993 respect
- Defense: Increase Defense passively up to 20%. (1% per upgrade)
- Dexterity: Increase dexterity passively up to 20%. (1% per upgrade)
- Escape: Increase runaway chance up to 30%. (3% per upgrade)
- Maximum life: Increase maximum life up to 20%. (1% per upgrade)
Total Cost: 500,004 respect
In the Laboratory you can build a Dirty Bomb. More details here.
For more information on faction challenges, please view the Faction Challenges page.
Commonly abbreviated as "OC," Organized Crimes bring in respect and money for your faction. The higher grade OCs provide more money and respect but have higher Crime Experience requirements of the members involved. Failures will impact crime experience, though not as much as failures of personal crimes.
When someone with OC permission sets up an OC, several members of the faction can be selected take part, who will then receive an event to let them know. Once it has been planned, a timer will begin to count down until the OC can be initiated. Once the timer is up, it will be marked as 'ready', and it can be initiated so long as all members in the OC have 'Okay' status (i.e. not traveling, in jail, or hospital). The selected members themselves do not have to do anything for the OC, only be 'Okay' at the time of initiation.
If you are scheduled for an OC that is nearly ready and you attempt a flight that will cause you to return 'late' for the OC, you will see a message prominently displayed warning you of the pending OC. You may choose to ignore the warning and fly anyway, you are not prevented from flying.
OCs can be planned and initiated by any member with "OC" permission, given by Leaders.
OCs can now be easily planned again with the same members immediately after completion. Simply click the "Plan again" button. (effective 30/10/18)
When a faction is hit by a dirty bomb, its OCs are all canceled.
On the faction crimes page, players not currently assigned to an OC will be shown in descending order according to their crime experience before any bonuses are applied. 
The honor bar 'Mastermind' is awarded upon participating in 100 OCs.
|Name||Members required||Time of planning||Cash gains ($)||Respect gains|
|Blackmail||2 Members||24 Hours||6,000 - 10,000||1 - 2|
|Kidnapping||2 Members||48 Hours||15,000 - 35,000||3 - 5|
|Bomb Threat||3 Members||72 Hours||50,000 - 150,000||7 - 10|
|Planned Robbery||5 Members||96 Hours||400,000 - 600,000||18 - 24|
|Rob a money train||6 Members||120 Hours||3,250,000 - 4,250,000||25 - 35|
|Take over a cruise liner||15 Members||144 Hours||17,500,000 - 27,500,000||65 - 80|
|Hijack a plane||8 Members||168 Hours||20,000,000 - 50,000,000||80 - 100|
|Political Assassination||4 Members||192 Hours||100,000,000 - 300,000,000||200 - 300|
Faction Forums The faction forums are a place for you to talk to your members, post ideas, services from the faction and offers. It is also the main place for any up-to-date news from the faction and a well-run forum is vital for a faction to succeed. All faction members can make threads and post in them, but only certain faction staff can delete threads that aren't theirs or make stickies.
Faction chatbox This is for faction members to talk in real-time, it is useful during chainings or asking for help with regards to the faction.
Newsletter Some Faction staff can send newsletters out, usually, these letters have important information regarding the faction and it is usually best to pay attention to these.
- Inactive Faction Leader Didn't Promote Correctly - Changed daily inactive faction leader replacement to be the co-leader or longest serving member online in the last 24 hours
- Previously, the firework stand company had a special that would allow a user to spend job points to reduce the respect of an enemy faction. This special was removed when company specials were given a major overhaul in May, 2015.
- Previously, a player needed to be a member of a faction for four days before receiving cash or points via the 'Give to Player' function.
- If you lose or abandon a territory, you will not be able to attempt to take that territory again for 7 days. - As of December 2019, this rule has been removed.