Hunting becomes available when you reach level 15; you can then travel to South Africa and use the option to hunt for animals by spending 10 Energy and $500 in the hope of making a profit. There is no time requirement for a hunting session; you get the result immediately after you select the session type.
There are 3 types of hunting session: beginner, standard, and advanced session. All three will earn the same amount of hunting skill (and reportedly a bit of leveling experience). The amount of money earned will vary depending on your hunting skill and the session type selected. A higher skill will result in more animals being killed and sold. A higher session opens up additional animals to be hunted, although it appears certain minimum skill levels are required before any animal of a given type will be killed. For example, a hunting skill in the low 40's can get you giraffes and cheetahs, but catching other animals in the standard session is very unlikely. The session types and animal rewards are as follows:
- Beginner sessions allow you to hunt only the following animals:
- Buffalo - $250 each
- Zebra - $350 each
- Baboon - $500 each
- Warthog - $400 each
- Standard sessions allow you to hunt all the Beginner animals, plus the following:
- Giraffe - $1,000 each
- Cheetah - $2,000 each
- Hippo - $3,000 each
- Leopard - $2,500 each
- Advanced sessions allow you to hunt all the Beginner and Standard animals, (some for more money) plus the following:
- Giraffe - $1,500 each
- Hippo - $4,500 each
- Lion - $5,000 each
- Rhino - $8,500 each
- Elephant - $12,000 each
- Hyena - $3,000 each
- Gorilla - $4,500 each
- Tiger - $20,000 each
To get your hunting skill from 0 to 100 will take a lot of time (about 164,000 energy, which can be reduced by 25% with a 7* Meat Warehouse), and you will most likely lose out on a lot of fighting stats. You start off at 0 hunting skill, and to begin with you gain under 0.1 per hunt. Thus, a full energy bar will get you a skill level of about 1.2 if you are just starting out. However, as your hunting skill rises your skill gain per session will fall in an exponential relationship. For example, with a hunting skill of around 40, you will gain only roughly 0.025 per session.
Generally, when hunting, you should start off with the beginner session. It will become more profitable to move on to standard sessions when your hunting skill reaches the mid-twenties.
It will become more profitable to move from standard to advanced sessions when your hunting skill reaches the mid-seventies.
At maximum skill, you should be making about 800K per full energy bar (if you are a donator). However, this will take a long time, and is a poor strategy for active players.
Tips for hunting
- It's highly advisable to have donator status when hunting; the higher maximum energy and quicker regeneration time will help out greatly.
- It may be advisable to work in a Farm or Zoo; each has a 3-star hunting special which will give an additional 25% income when hunting.
- Faction perk 'Hunting (Secondary tree perk in Excursion branch)' can increase hunting income up to 30%. (3% per upgrade)
- Another way to boost profits is to complete the General Education course GEN 2120 Survival Skills, which gives a further boost of 15% to hunting income.
- If you are flower running or otherwise making only a short visit, be sure to spend your extra energy here before returning to Torn. The 3h 37min trip back (with an Airstrip) will generate 105-110 energy, so if you spend your energy down to 40 before leaving South Africa you will gain a little income from hunting and still should reach full energy (for a donator) close to the time you arrive back in Torn.
- Hunting exp is increased by x5 on International Tiger Day Event (July 28th 12:00 TCT to July 30th 12:00 TCT), each year.
Finally, if you plan to be away hunting for an extended time, it may be helpful to bank your money so that it may generate interest while you hunt.
There are three honor bars associated with the hunting skill.
- Achieve 50 skill in hunting
- Achieve 75 skill in hunting
- Achieve 100 skill in hunting