A Drug is an item you can take in order to receive a range of special effects, using up your drug cooldown.
- You cannot take another drug while still under the effect of a previous drug. You can check how much time is left by hovering over the Drug cool down (weed) icon.
- Any effect given that increases your happiness above your maximum will reset back to your maximum every quarter-hour, on the hour (i.e. xx:00/15/30/45).
- Passive stat increases gained from taking drugs (such as Ketamine, PCP, and Speed) may slowly decrease during the after-effects.
- Opium will remove all of your Hospital time, unless caused by Radiation Poisoning.
- There are honor bars for taking 50 of each drug with the exception of Love Juice.
- Love Juice is different from other drugs and is only usable around Valentines Day.
- Overdosing may increase the cooldown.
- City shops do not sell drugs; but they can be bought abroad.
- Ketamine can be obtained by using 5 job points in a 5* or higher zoo or farm. It is the only drug obtainable through companies.
- Your level of addiction does not affect your chance to overdose.
|Drugs and Effects|
|Effects & Cooldown||Overdose Effects|
Each type of drug will give you a different level of addiction. Addiction effects occur while you have a particular level of addiction - not just while you have a drug cooldown. Every drug you take will provide some addiction (unless you are reading the "Hot Turkey" book), even if the Brain icon has not yet appeared. It is important to note that while the terms are often used interchangeably in Torn, "Addiction" and "Battle Stats debuff" are not the same thing - although this debuff is an easy way to gauge your level of addiction without going to rehab.
At a certain level of addiction, the brain icon will appear among your personal icons, indicating the level of debuff to your Battle Stats. The heavier your addiction, the more red the brain will appear.
Aside from a Battle Stats debuff, additional negative consequences will begin to occur as your addiction progresses:
- Your effectiveness within a company will begin to drop (this does not affect directors). This starts from your first drug, not just when the Brain icon has appeared!
- You will be kicked from any education you are enrolled in. While in a faction with maximum Toleration, this occurs around an addiction level that provides 6-7% Battle Stats debuff. This effect can be mitigated working in a 10* Nightclub.
- You may lose access to the drug-free Gym, the Sports Science Lab. This occurs if your total Xanax and Ecstasy used combines to more than 150.
- You may be forced to use drugs to be able to access the Gym to train in.
- Although rumoured for years, Addiction does not affect Organised Crimes success in any way. 
It is possible to remove these long-term effects by:
- Going to Rehab in Switzerland
- Waiting for the addiction to wear off naturally. 20 Addiction Points are removed naturally each day at 3:30am TCT.
- Spending job points on specials: "R and R" in Cruise Line Agency, "Herbal Cleansing" in Flower Shop, and "Suppression" in Nightclub (all of which are available in 5* companies). 1 Addiction Point is removed per job point.
- Using Book : Milk Yourself Sober which removes a substantial amount of drug addiction upon completion.
- Using Book : Hot Turkey to gain no drug addiction 31 days.
More testing needs to be done before accurate figures can be set on how many of each drug will force an Education kick.
Any time a drug is taken (with the exception of Opium and Love Juice, which cannot be overdosed on), there is a small chance to overdose on said drug. When this happens, the player will receive an event saying they have overdosed, and suffer that drug's overdose effects.
Each drug has a different overdose effect (detailed above) and typically come with an extended drug cooldown. Each drug also has a different chance to overdose (e.g Cannabis has an extremely low OD chance, whereas ecstasy has a relatively high chance)
Addiction, frequency of drug-taking, number taken, times since last OD, etc, have no impact on the chance to overdose.
Overdose chance can be reduced with the use of the 'Overdosing' faction upgrade in the Toleration branch, decreasing your chance to OD by 3% per upgrade to a maximum of 30%. It can also be reduced by 50% in a 7* Nightclub with the passive "Toleration" special.
There is a 1 in 2500 chance of overdosing on cannabis (1 in 500 during the Cannabis Day event)
There is a honor bar available for taking 50 of each type of drug (excluding Love Juice) and one for overdosing on Cannabis:
|Drug Related Awards|
|Spaced Out||Overdose on Cannabis|
|Who's Frank?||Use 50 Cannabis|
|I Think I See Dead People||Use 50 Shrooms|
|Party Animal||Use 50 Ecstasy|
|Acid Dream||Use 50 LSD|
|Painkiller||Use 50 Vicodin|
|Horse Tranquilizer||Use 50 Ketamine|
|The Fields Of Opium||Use 50 Opium|
|Crank It Up||Use 50 Speed|
|Angel Dust||Use 50 PCP|
|Free Energy||Use 50 Xanax|
- Changed behavior for the Rehab slider movement for when the user doesn't have enough money.
- Changed Opium to only recover up to 50% of maximum life but is now affected by medical effectiveness.
- Changed Opium to provide +30% defense for its reduced duration of 2-3 hours.
- Love Juice will only provide a reduction of 10 energy when attacking or reviving.
- Changed high drug addiction gym hospitalization to not trigger if the user is under attack.
- Changed Valentine's Day Love Juice event to also reduce reviving costs by -15 energy
- Added 'Crimes' link after using Cannabis.
- Added gym link after using Ecstasy.
- Changed drugs to prevent their usage while in hospital for radiation poisoning.
- Removed events from successful (non-overdose) drug taking.
- An overdose on Ecstasy used to also remove everyone on your friend's list.
- The energy loss from using Shrooms used to take your energy into negatives if you had less than 25, now it will not drop below 0, but will still take up to 25 energy.
- Awareness increase from Ecstasy & LSD was removed on Feb 21, 2017.